Analysing academic writing : contextualized frameworks / edited by Louise J. Ravelli and Robert A. Ellis.
Contributor(s): Ravelli, Louise | Ellis, Robert A.Material type: TextSeries: Open linguistics series.Publisher: London ; New York : Continuum, 2004Description: xv, 279 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.ISBN: 0826488021 (pbk.); 9780826461070; 0826461077; 9780826488022.Other title: Analyzing academic writing.Subject(s): English language -- Rhetoric -- Study and teaching -- Evaluation | English language -- Study and teaching -- Foreign speakers -- Evaluation | Report writing -- EvaluationDDC classification: Online resources: WorldCat details
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Copy number||Status||Date due||Barcode||Item holds|
|Text||EWU Library Reserve Section||Non-fiction||372.623 ANA 2004 (Browse shelf)||C-1||Not For Loan||26955|
|Text||EWU Library Reserve Section||Non-fiction||372.623 ANA 2004 (Browse shelf)||C-2||Not For Loan||26956|
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Table of contents 1. Introduction --
2. Patterns of engagement : dialogic features and L2 undergraduate writing / Ken Hyland --
3. Managing attitude in undergraduate academic writing : a focus on the introductions to research reports / Susan Hood --
4. Scholar or consultant? : author-roles of student writers in German business writing / Helmut Gruber --
5. Word power : negotiating success in a first-year sociology essay / Sue Starfield --
6. The exegesis as a genre : an ethnographic examination / Brian Paltridge --
7. Signalling the organization of written texts : hyper-themes in management and history essays / Louise J. Ravelli --
8. Developing discipline-specific writing : an analysis of undergraduate geography essays / Ann Hewings --
9. IELTS as preparation for tertiary writing : distinctive interpersonal and textual strategies / Caroline Coffin and Ann Hewings --
10. Technical writing in a second language : the role of grammatical metaphor / Mary J. Schleppegrell --
11. Problems with the metaphorical reconstrual of meaning in Chinese EFL learners' expositions / Youping Chen and Joseph A. Foley --
12. Supporting genre-based literacy pedagogy with technology --
the implications for the framing and classification of the pedagogy / Robert A. Ellis --
13. Teaching academic writing on screen : a search for best practice / Helen Drury --
14. Learning to write in the disciplines : the application of systemic functional linguistic theory to the teaching and research of student writing / Janet Jones.
This book presents international research by renowned linguists and second language experts across different languages on issues surrounding Academic Writing. Academic Writing is an important skill for students entering tertiary education to learn. Australian authors from University of NSW and University of Sydney.