Assisting development in a changing world : the Harvard Institute for International Development, 1980-1995 / edited by Dwight H. Perkins... [et al.].
Contributor(s): Perkins, Dwight H. (Dwight Heald) | Harvard Institute for International Development.Material type: TextSeries: Harvard studies in international affairs. Publisher: [Cambridge, Mass.] : Harvard Institute for International Development, c1997Description: ix, 533 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.ISBN: 0674049969; 9780674049963; 0674049977 (pbk.); 9780674049970.Subject(s): Economic assistance -- Developing countries -- History | Economic development projects -- Developing countries -- HistoryDDC classification: 338.90091724 Online resources: WorldCat details
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Copy number||Status||Date due||Barcode||Item holds|
|Text||EWU Library Reserve Section||Non-fiction||338.90091724 ASS 1997 (Browse shelf)||C-1||Not For Loan||26356|
Browsing EWU Library Shelves , Shelving location: Reserve Section Close shelf browser
|338.9001 PID 2010 Development theory :||338.90068 LEM The management of non-governmental development organizations :||338.900684 POP 2002 Project planning and analysis for development /||338.90091724 ASS 1997 Assisting development in a changing world :||338.90091724 LIB 2017 Beating the odds :||338.90091724 REM 2005 Remittances :||338.90091724 TOE 2003 Economic development /|
Essays designed to give an overview of HIID projects and their accomplishments from 1980 to 1995.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Table of contents Introduction / Dwight H. Perkins, Richard Pagett and Michael Roemer [and others] --
1. Technical Assistance in the University Context / Dwight H. Perkins --
2. Research and Publication: Lessons of Experience / Michael Roemer --
3. Indonesia: Economic Policy Reform / Michael Roemer and Joseph J. Stern --
4. Kenya: Advice and Training / John M. Cohen and Stephen B. Peterson --
5. The Gambia and Zambia: A Common Path to Macroeconomic Stability / Malcolm F. McPherson --
6. Introducing Market Forces into Former Command Economies / Dwight H. Perkins --
7. Tax Reform / Glenn P. Jenkins, Robert Conrad and Graham Glenday [et al.] --
8. Food and Agricultural Policy and Rural Development / John M. Cohen, Charles K. Mann and Pauline E. Peters --
9. Economic Policy Reform Studies / Clive S. Gray --
10. The Public Enterprise Program / Richard D. Mallon --
11. Work on Small-Scale Enterprise / Donald R. Snodgrass --
12. Sustainable Microfinance / Marguerite S. Robinson.
For over forty years the Harvard Institute for International Development (HIID) has worked with countries in the developing world on the complex issues of economic and social sector reform. This volume describes the experience of the Institute in the challenging development assistance world of the 1980s and early 1990s, when HIID's largest projects involved work with countries attempting to move away from high