Cost-benefit analysis / edited by Richard Layard and Stephen Glaister.
Contributor(s): Layard, P. R. G. (P. Richard G.) | Glaister, StephenMaterial type: TextLanguage: English Publisher: Cambridge [England] ; New York, USA : Cambridge University Press, 1994Edition: 2nd edDescription: x, 497 p. : ill. ; 26 cmISBN: 0521461286 (hardback); 0521466741 (paperback); 9780521461283; 9780521466745Subject(s): Cost effectiveness | Business -- Profits -- ImprovementDDC classification: 658.1552 LOC classification: HD47.4 | .C668 1994Online resources: Publisher description | Table of contents | WorldCat details | E-book Fulltext
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Copy number||Status||Date due||Barcode||Item holds|
|E-Book||EWU Library E-book||Non-fiction||658.1552 COS 1994 (Browse shelf)||Not For Loan|
|Text||EWU Library Reserve Section||Non-fiction||658.1552 COS 1994 (Browse shelf)||C-1||Not For Loan||20371|
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Table of contents 1. Shadow prices and markets: Policy reform, shadow prices and market prices / J. Dreze and N. Stern --
2. Shadow prices and markets: Feasibility constraints: foreign exchange and shadow wages / A.K. Sen --
3. Discount rates: The rate of discount for benefit-cost analysis and the theory of the second best / J.E. Stiglitz --
4. Risk and uncertainty: Uncertainty and the evaluation of public investment decisions / K.J. Arrow and R.C. Lind --
5. Income distribution: Allowing for income distribution / R. Layard and A.A. Walters --
6. The costs and benefits of analysis: Project appraisal and planning twenty years on / I.M.D. Little and J.A. Mirrlees --
7. Time savings: Research into the value of time / The MVA Consultancy et al --
8. Safety and the saving of life: The theory of equalizing differences / S. Rosen --
9. Safety and the saving of life: The economics of safety and physical risk / M.W. Jones-Lee.
Should Chicago build a new airport, or India build a new steel mill? Should higher education expand, or water supplies be improved? These are typical questions about which cost-benefit analysis has something to say. It is the mail tool that economics provides for analysing problems of social choice. It also provides a useful vehicle for understanding the practical value of welfare economics.